Supporting Adult Literacy Needs in Your Work (Online, April 2023)
NALA is the National Adult Literacy Agency.
In Ireland, over 500,000 adults have unmet literacy, numeracy and digital literacy needs. This means many will find it difficult to get information about the courses you offer or lack the confidence to apply for one. If they are on a course, the learners will have different strengths and needs in the particular language, literacy, numeracy and digital literacy used in the centre and course. This can also affect their confidence and motivation to complete a course.
There are lots of things you can do to remove these barriers and ensure your services are accessible to everyone. It requires taking a ‘whole-organisation’ literacy friendly approach. This means that you are aware of the barriers facing learners with unmet literacy needs and work towards removing as many of them as possible. You are probably doing this already in your work without even thinking about it, but if you want to learn more, the National Adult Literacy Agency (NALA) is providing a two-hour information session for any staff interested in this important area.
The information session has four parts that cover:
1. Literacy, numeracy and digital literacy needs in Ireland: how we all have a role to play.
2. Using a ‘literacy friendly’ approach: Being aware and removing literacy related barriers facing learners will help make your centre more inclusive and accessible to all learners.
3. Integrating literacy: How to make your courses more effective for all learners, including those who have the subject-related knowledge and skills but experience difficulties with aspects of the course-related literacy, numeracy and digital literacy.
4. Plain English: Plain English is a way of writing and presenting information that helps someone understand it the first time they read or hear it. This part will provide you with useful plain English writing and design tips to help improve your written information.
What will I learn?
You will learn the practical steps you can take to ensure that your education and training programmes are:
• inclusive and do not exclude anyone because of the literacy and numeracy demands of the course
• offering support to adults with needs in the course related language, literacy, numeracy and digital literacy more effective for everyone on the course
The target audience for this event is: Administrators, centre managers, FET directors, tutors, vocational and subject specific teachers.
Facilitation: This event will be facilitated by the NALA Team .
Please note: Pre-booking is essential. Please do not book onto this session unless you are sure that you will attend / have approval to attend (if required). If an emergency arises, please inform us ASAP (email@example.com) as we operate a waiting list system and if time allows, we can offer your booked place to another person.
|Event Date||25-04-2023 14:00|
|Event End Date||25-04-2023 16:00|
|Cut off date||25-04-2023 14:00|
|Location||Online (Link to event will be e-mailed)|